Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Managing Email



If you are anything like me, you get a lot of email. It’s really unfortunate how much time we waste on email


Companies don’t make it easy on us either. These days, where you work, email is the standard way to communicate. It seems that gone are the days of face to face communication. Even picking up the phone and actually talking to someone is a lost art.

Going shopping has become its own vice. It seems I can’t go anywhere where a clerk is not asking for my email. Shopping online is clearly obvious since most logins to websites are simply your email address. 


But if you also volunteer for an organization you probably have noticed an uptick in the emails you receive. Many of the not for profit organizations use email as the standard for communication. Clearly, I am not saying anything new. It’s cheap, its fast, and they can distribute to a lot of people with very little effort. Again, there is a lack personal communication that is quickly becoming the norm in our society, and that is unfortunate. What happened to “let’s go for lunch and chat for a bit”? (sigh) Not only that, but when you are inundated with a certain form of communication, you become desensitized to it over time. I am of the opinion that volunteer organizations (especially churches…) in particular should really think about how they handle email distributions.  By not communicating EFFECTIVELY, organizations run the risk of becoming INEFFECTIVE….


Well, over the years it has become clear that I can’t seem to do much about the amount of email I receive AND still be a significant part of an organization. And, if I am honest, email is an excellent way to keep track of packages that I have ordered. But I shouldn’t have to sift through EVERY email each day, because most of them are not informative at the time. So I decided to alter my email habits. This may not be revolutionary for many of you, but I use multiple email accounts. In fact, I have more than 4 email accounts. (Gasp!)


Below is a list and description of the “types” of email accounts that I use. 


Work email – This is clearly obvious. It’s the account where I spend 40+ hours of my day. Very rarely does this account get out to those who do not have a professional relationship with me. Of course, it’s not absolute, but that is the primary function for this account.


Personal email – I have had this account for years. I cherish this email. I protect it from all things spam. My intent is when I open this account, people that I am close to are sending me information that they consider important to me.


Spam email – Again, this one is nothing new. I have no doubt many of you have a bogus email that when a clerk asks for an email address you give them this one. 


Volunteer email – this one is new for me over the last few years. I added this account because I work with church organizations, and having this information come into my personal account was starting to create almost its own version of spam: “sign up for this!”, “don’t forget about the event this week…”, “are you available for…” “here is the daily bible reading…” 


So, if you have a job, and you shop, and you are part of  a volunteer organization, and you do pretty much anything else that requests your email, how can you manage multiple accounts if you choose to go this route? From my perspective you have at least 4 options:

  1. You can log into them separately on a set frequency. 
  2. Primarily use your phone (smartphone), and set up your accounts on it. Most smart phones will handle multiple accounts.
  3. Forward all your email accounts to one.
  4. You could use a program like outlook or Thunderbird for Mozilla to have your accounts go to, and have them populate into different folders. You simply set up the rules for the different accounts coming in (i.e. johndoe@gmail.com goes to the gmail folder, johndoe@yahoo.com goes to the yahoo folder, etc.) and then you are only checking one spot. Also, most major email providers like gmail, yahoo!, etc. provide this feature as well.

Anyway, this is how I tend to handle email. It’s not perfect, and I definitely don’t hold a strict line to managing my email accounts. How about you? How do you handle email?

No comments: