Tuesday, December 23, 2008

* Almost There

No more presents to buy, just two to wrap. Christmas music on, cookies made, six cards without addresses - thanks to the little thief that walked off with my address book. We are almost there. I truly enjoy the Christmas season. So in that vein here is my top ten list of favorite things, in no particular order...
  1. Christmas music - classic hymns, instrumental, or contemporary versions, all good. Judah has some jazz versions that are particularly interesting. Sometimes hearing the words in a different way helps you to remember what the song is about in the first place.
  2. Evergreen trees and wreaths - evergreens get more press this time but are beautiful all year, it is just now that they are more obvious. :)
  3. Spice tea on cold mornings - not necessarily restricted to Christmas but definitely tied together in my mind.
  4. Another reason to have turkey and stuffing - none of that silly dressing business - stuffing only!
  5. Christmas lights. I am a particular fan of white on the exterior but multi-colored on the tree. My favorite is the glow of the tree late at night, when it is quiet (which must mean when the kids are asleep)
  6. Giving gifts - I often get more enjoyment out of giving the perfect gift than in receiving, which I believe is the whole point - since Christ was given as our perfect gift.
  7. Hand print decorations - the kids have made some adorable wreaths, trees and reindeer from hand prints. I much prefer these crafts to scribbles, and definitely prefer them over glitter, which is the silliest craft time ever in my opinion. Gets everywhere - blgh.
  8. Christmas cards - I get more and more photos each year. I think the pictures are fabulous, but also the borders always speak much to an individuals taste and style. It is fun to get a glimpse into some one's personality.
  9. Christmas cookies - sugar cookies with icing in different flavors. I was blessed to have a very crafty mother who taught me to do such things throughout the year. I had some new college students over recently to help with cookies and some of those girls had never rolled dough to cut into shapes or made homemade powdered sugar icing. They were completely blown away by the different flavors you could make. I found a vanilla butter nut flavor this year - awesome! Apparently my traditions are not universal - which makes them even more special.
  10. Time with family - sounds kinda gushy, a little fuzzy for me, but I do enjoy the time with the people I like doing something special. I think other than serving others during this time, God is most pleased with family together, doing what families should do. Slowing down, being TOGETHER, and showing love to each other.

May you all have a holiday season full of times of joy and your own version of home-made sugar cookies.

No comments: