Tuesday, January 20, 2009

God Created Snow....



This weekend was yet another chapter in my life. I have been snowboarding for about 15 years now. I would usually snowboard by myself, doing the ramps, or black diamonds, as fast as I possibly could. A previous chapter for me was when I was in Utah a couple of years ago, and broke my back on a jump. Well, it was actually the bad landing that broke my back, not the jump itself. After that, I told myself it was time for a helmet, and to not jump (as big) anymore.


The last few years, our family ski trips consisted of us putting the kids in day care, and Michelle and I hitting the trails for a bit. Michelle, being the awesome wife she is, respected my absolute love for the mountains and would graciously allow me to ski by myself in the afternoon, while the kids (and herself) took naps. After lunch, I would hit every run I could, as fast as I possibly could. I cannot express the sheer enjoyment of carving down a mountain. Last year, however, we taught our son how to ski. He got to spend the morning in the ski school, and then afterwards, we took him out on his first trail run. He wasn't strong enough to stop real good, but he loved every minute of it.

This trip, I hit a turning point. I found myself NOT wanting to ride the black diamonds, or ski off by myself, carving and cruising as fast as I could go. I got a new ski buddy this year. There was nothing cooler than hearing your own son say, "can we do that one again?"


So where did the title of this post come from?

One of the chair lift rides back to the top, my son asked me, "Dad, why did God create snow?" I looked at him and quickly answered, "so that we can ski on it." And his response was just as quick: "that's what I thought."

1 comment:

Quad Squad! said...

Very cool! I can't wait to take our kids skiing one day!