Saturday, February 21, 2009

* Time for Nothing

I have been accused at times of having too many things on my plate, of trying to do too much, etc. Some times those accusations are accurate, but mostly I find that they are not. Judged from the outside we can not tell when 'much' is 'too much' for someone else. (Although I have been more tempted to say little is too little to people who claim busy-ness of which I see no evidence) How is one to defend against such a claim "you are doing too much"? I have used the tactic of telling them when I last took a nap, or when I last allowed entirely too much television for one day, just because I didn't feel like getting off the couch myself. These rebuttals have never worked overmuch, mostly because the well meaning person doesn't believe the claims. I do seem to do a lot of random stuff. I am a home school mom - I do several hours a week at the co op to get a tuition break -Judah and I volunteer with our children's ministry and college/high school students - I do a lot of laundry (see previous posts of random tasks, there have been a few - If I knew how to do that clever linking thing I would) - I scrapbook, quite a lot actually - I read, quite a lot actually. This list does not seem to me too much.

Why? Because I still have time for nothing. There are hours of unscheduled time when I can do any number of things - the blessing of being a stay at home mom. Granted, many free moments are dictated by the younger members of our household, but this is what I wanted when I signed up for having children. I am a big believer in rest - ask my mom how often she came home to a napping Michelle growing up. One of my favorite Sunday morning classes was one on the scriptural support to taking a nap - thank you Barry Fowler (circa 1998). I think God wants us to rest - thus the Sabbath concept, intended as a gift to us not a burden. The flip side to that gift of rest is the concept of filling your other time with work. If you are to appreciate the rest, you must work first. I think scheduled rest is a great idea for everyone - mark in on your calendar the way you would an 'appointment.' My plate is not overfull, but I certainly enjoy my rest. In order to get the full gift of life, work hard, and make time for nothing.

No comments: