Tuesday, February 17, 2009

* Waiting for Spring

As February continues to move past us I have now decided that I am ready for Spring. When we were out last weekend it seemed clear that everyone else was too, suddenly there were twice the amount of vehicles on the road everywhere we went. Like folks had been in hibernation until the first sign of consistent sixty degree days. Now they are out scurrying about.

The kids are outside most days now, and we have a small pile of muddy shoes at the back door. My son is moving into my daughters way of thinking - wanting to wear shorts whenever possible- he told me this morning that once you are outside and in the sun and moving around it really gets quite warm. His motion was denied and he was forced to continue with long sleeves and pants. My daughter has always been in denial of the season. I tried moving the clothes to a top shelf in her closet. She merely moved the rocking ottoman over, placed a stool ON TOP OF IT and climbed up to retrieve her wanted articles of clothing. I could have boxed them up I suppose, but that seemed extreme. So we continue to compromise with mismatched outfits of long sleeve shirts covered by tank tops, jeans under skirts, and other layered looks that made me a little squirmy for their lack of overall matching color scheme.

Spring is still a few weeks in coming, but there are some buds on our trees and I hope they do not fall prey to another severe frost like they have the past few years. Our weather here is weird and prone to sudden March and April frosts for no reason except to maim the early risers of my flower beds. I am ready for days when I can walk outside without thinking about a jacket for myself or others. I am ready to grill more food, particularly since that means someone else will be doing the grilling. I am ready for capris, which are a favorite clothing staple of mine in the questionable seasons of spring and fall. I am also ready for the electricity bill to drop, which has been at an all time high for us, twice what it was last year.

Mostly, however, I am ready for the smell of green. The smell of things that are growing and fresh, the smell that means spring is here. We will be trying a garden again this year and I am looking forward to it. The garden area has been well maintained by my children through the fall and winter, a site of frequent digging. The tiller will not be as essential this year. May you catch a spring breeze today that reminds you that all winters come to an end.

No comments: