Wednesday, August 26, 2009

* So Long to the Caseys

There are so many things percolating in my brain right now and things I want to say but my time this afternoon is limited and there is a lot of snubby floating around in my sinuses, blocking coherent thoughts processes. So I will make this quick.

The Caseys are dead and gone.

The princess has not noticed yet and I am a chicken and haven't told her.

Some may wonder who the Caseys are. About a year ago some friends gave us (actually they gave it to our daughter - a sneaky trick to run around the parents) a fish tank and suddenly we were pet owners. We had avoided pets for many reasons - not because we are evil but because we are mobile. Pets require care and we are on the go quite a bit and I didn't want to always be looking for someone to feed the dog/cat/hamster while we ran to grandmas. So now we had fish. I killed Chester within two days - a beautiful beta fish that apparently couldn't stand our family. In my hysteria of killing Chester Judah drove to the pet store and returned with two "harder-to-kill" fish - I think they may have been guppies. We allowed the princess to name these fish - she labeled the first one 'Casey' which was cute and when we asked her for another name she replied 'Casey'. Really? You want them both to have the same name? YES. So we had two identical fish with the same name in our tank. No confusion there.

An interesting side note - we have a precious older couple at our church with the last name of Casey, so I entertained myself a great deal with the notion that the Caseys lived in our fish tank.

Judah was told that these 'harder-to-kill' fish would live a year or two. Well not to skew the bell curve they lived almost precisely a year and died seemingly within a day of each other. The Caseys are gone.

Did I mention that we still have one other fish? Originally purchased with Chester - one of the 'clean-your-tank' fish. Our daughter named him too - 'Hippo" I have no idea where the names come from. Hippo has now lost three tank mates in a year - he (or she for all I know) may be needing some therapy soon.

So long Caseys.

No comments: