Friday, November 20, 2009

* 8 Squash

I may have commented before about our gardening attempts. Last summer (08) was our first garden, during which time we successfully fed the rabbits and squirrels in our neighborhood. We ourselves came away with two squash which I served to some guests in a squash casserole. Had I known at the time it was to be the only produce of that summer I may have selfishly horded it and served it only to myself.

Enter summer of 09 when I much more realistic expectations about the animals in our neighborhood, my son had much greater leeway to chase them out of the yard and occasionally throw dirt at them. (Animal rights activists please note that my opinion of the odds of him actually hitting a fleeing rabbit were so low as to see this as a safe activity for the rabbits - and I may say that he did a splendid job) They still managed to eat all the green beans and carrots, which is not surprising for anyone who has read Beatrix Potter's stories about Peter Rabbit. I testify that my sympathy for Mr. Mac Gregor has increased dramatically and feel no sympathy for the rabbit who DISOBEYED his mother and STOLE food from a hard working farmer.

We succeeded in harvesting eight squash this year. Shortly after the eight were harvested I went to the beach with the kids, it didn't rain for a week and the garden was dead upon our arrival home. Not wanting to 'waste' these squash I was careful as to when I used them, but I did not want to actually be selfish. I served them in three meals, all with guests, all differently prepared. Since you are dying to know I will make a list...

  • Sauteed with butter and garlic - served to our friends in Memphis (although in all truth I observed this preparation rather than be of any help - and for those who know, sometimes it is best to just observe her than get it the way :) )
  • Mixed vegetable saute, different spices than before - served at college dinner - never too big a fan of vegetables, young adults will indulge me and try what I make. I liked it and felt terribly healthy being able to say we had "mixed vegetables" as a side dish.
  • Squash casserole (the stand-by) - served at this past week's senior dinner (I ate the last of the leftovers yesterday - yum)

I took some lovely pictures of the garden when it was fresh and new and I am going to share them because I think everyone agrees with me (until proven otherwise- which has happened on occasion)

Those are some good looking green beans - and apparently tasty 'cuz the rabbits couldn't get enough. I did get some for seeds so maybe I will get to eat some someday. I found how the green beans grew from their plant fascinating - maybe you will too. Check out how the bean pushes out from the flower...

Since it is squash that I was talking about in the first place I will share a picture of the gorgeous vines (that go everywhere and annoy Judah for invading his lawn)


The vines at the bottom were actually watermelon, which never produced anything but cute little flowers. As winter gets closer I enjoy looking at garden pictures - a reminder that I will come out on the other side of the cold and get to plant things again.

Hopefully in 2010 we will harvest even more than 8 squash.

No comments: