Thursday, January 6, 2011

* Quirky quotes

First I am going to start out by saying that I completely forgot to mention that my daughter lost her first tooth and that my son got to be a pitcher (third string) in his fall ball league. These were quite momentous in 2010. Yet somehow they missed the list. Sigh.

I have two separate quotes for today. One for each child, which makes things nice and even! They even both have a nice combo of sweet/quirky/serious flavors to them. The first quote I sadly did not get to hear and I am only repeating the story as told by his teacher. However she is a reliable source and quite frankly it sounds bang on like something he would say. Today was carving day at school. A delightful day where a great guy came and gave his whole morning to helping third grade boys to carve pieces of wood into snakes. The boys LOVED it and I was able to see some portions of it during but not all. Brian (the guy giving his time) is a sweet spirited person and in ministry work full time. His faith oozes off him. Apparently when they were done with the snakes he had a nice talk with the boys about how much fun it would be to scare little sisters, etc. with the snakes, which I am sure the boys totally agreed with. He then added that as Christians we needed to think of others first so scaring our sisters was probably not a good idea. I am sure this sounded good in his head. However the wheels were turning in my sons head and he announced....
I haven't been baptized yet.
Apparently he felt this was a loophole. His friend in class must have agreed because he mournfully added that he was baptized when he was six. I guess no scaring sisters for his friend but my son was in the clear to scare to his little hearts content...for now... :)
I realize that we have some discussion, among other things, concerning the notion that after baptism there is nothing fun ever again. But the story still made me giggle, and his teacher said she nearly cried from laughing.

Today my daughter lied to me. I can not say this is the first time, but it was blatant. I admit she is a bit more free with the truth than her brother. When he lied it crushed me, with her I guess I was expecting it. Maybe it is the girl in her. :) While cleaning my son brought me two earrings. For about .0005 seconds I was a little excited because one belonged to a pair that I have worn for years and lost one a few months ago. To get the other back would be huge. However my mind quickly moved to the reality that my daughter had brought them down from the tray on the bathroom counter to play with them. Last week she was walking around with my pearls on - having no idea that the necklace she was 'playing' with cost any more than her dollar store beads. In confronting her with the earrings I did a classic parent fail moment. I asked her where they came from. I set her up to either lie or come clean. A better decision would have been to skip the part where I dared her to lie and just go to the don't play with my stuff talk, although truthfully that has clearly not taken deep root in her subconscious or I would not keep having it. Well she gave a lovely doe eyed 'I don't know where these came from, I promise I don't, really I don't I promise, I have no idea.' LIAR. I waited a few seconds and gave her another chance. Told her I knew they belonged in the bathroom, etc. She then said that she took them to play with. A fact I knew all along..., well except for .0005 seconds.
I then told her that lying to me meant that she didn't love me.
Total melt down.
Tears streaming, little girl face pressed into my abdomen telling me that she loves me 'so much.' Only someone truly devoid of emotion could have withstood that moment. (So that you know I am not evil I did give her many hugs, cried my self, told her how important she was to me, expressed that mommy does not lie to her, etc...) Somewhere in this moment I asked
How do I know you won't lie to me again?
Because I am crying!!!
I may be lacking in some emotion. I guess she didn't understand why her tears were not proof enough.
What a day.

No comments: