Monday, September 21, 2009

* Anniversary List

Some weeks ago Judah and I celebrated our anniversary and I had in mind a post I wanted to do in honor of that occasion, but as it often happens with me, I put it off and procrastinated until it no longer seems currently relevant. We will blame Judah for this as he arranged for my mom to come get the kids so we could have the weekend to ourselves and go visit Lake Lure/Chimney Rock North Carolina. While he was entertained by the ability to twitter from many places while there, especially the top of Chimney Rock itself - we did have a lovely time where he actually paid attention to me and not the bars on his phone.

My plan for the anniversary post was not to list the wonderful things about Judah himself but rather have it more focused on myself!!! :) Or more to the point, the things about me that Judah must put up with. After reading this list you will more fully know how wonderful he is by realizing what he must endure in his daily life...

  1. I am always late. I was late to the wedding and I have been late ever since. Note the reference to putting this post off until it makes no sense to bring it up. Judah is always early - ALWAYS. This makes for some interesting moments when we are going somewhere. In reality it means he is always waiting on me, but he has been known to show some grace when we arrive somewhere ridiculously early and turn to me and say "well I guess we are a little early."
  2. I sleep with a body pillow. A hold over from two pregnancies where laying on ones side gets rather uncomfortable. I love holding a pillow in my sleep. Judah believes that this pillow means that I take a disproportionate amount of the bed space. While I have repeatedly shown him that I am within my side - the headboard cleverly has a line in the middle that I can use as evidence of my being well away from his territory- he persists in this belief that I creep into his space. Since his perception is what he lives with and not reality he shows me great kindness by tolerating my invasion.
  3. I can get quite tunnel visioned when reading or watching a movie. Judah has a sixth sense about these things and frequently calls five minutes before the conclusion or sits down as I am coming to the conclusion of a chapter. After many years I am learning to close the book - without even finishing a paragraph sometimes! Judah is proud of me when I close the book but loves me anyway WHEN I ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT DO IT AND MUST FINISH THE CHAPTER.
  4. I am a late night snacker. Sometimes when the children are in bed I like to reward myself with some warm break and bake cookies and some milk. I know that eating late is not the best decision - but it the only way to eat food without vultures hovering over my plate. While Judah occasionally encourages us to eat healthier he generally is gracious about sharing my late night cookies.
  5. I like to count things. Only those who live with me would know and it can be an amazingly intrusive habit. Counting the stairs every time you go up or down, counting the deck of cards before we play... The movie company that has the image with the stars that come trailing in and form an arch - there are twenty-two. Each time that comes on the screen Judah leans over and very sweetly asks if they have changed the number? No they have not.
  6. I can manipulate with the best of them. Judah frequently finds himself eating at restaurants without knowing how he got there. Doesn't his wife stay at home? Shouldn't that mean he gets home cooked food upon his arrival home from work? Served by a woman in a skirt and apron and pearls and perfectly coiffed hair? Apparently not.
  7. I love to sleep. My husbands desire to never be late means that he can get up whenever he needs to - in order to avoid the crushing experience of being late. As being late doesn't phase me too much I sleep until the last possible second. I like to take naps, which I generally only get on Sundays now - or when I am sick. A couple months ago I had to miss my Sunday nap for a church function and Judah forsook his nap in a moment of solidarity. The next week he had a church function and I promptly went home and took a nap anyway - no solidarity for you honey.
  8. I hate to take medicine. I have been known to grimace through some rough pain. I have migraines and will generally take my meds for them, but not always. Judah has been known to put pills in my mouth without my permission. He can be quite rude about it really. Something about the silliness of not taking a prescription when that is the purpose of the medication in the first place - completely inefficient to avoid the drugs if it will make me feel better. Judah does love to be efficient.
  9. I say I'm sorry - A LOT. I am sorry for things I have no control over. Ever the efficient one Judah doesn't always see why I say I am sorry - if it wasn't my fault, I can't do anything about it, and it isn't really a negative thing anyway - why say that? Bless him - I just can't help myself. I want to do so much more that I can or should. HE must provide limits and that can make him look the bad cop in the scenario, when it really just being a good husband/father.
  10. I love lists. I love to 'talk about we are doing today' Let's plan our Saturday until we have wrung every moment out of it :) I can honey-do list like no one else.
  11. I am a procrastinator - not quite the same as being late. You can procrastinate and still be on time. I can do both - Judah finds this all very stressful. Procrastination does not lead to lateness although it looks like it does. It is a fine mind that can see the difference.
  12. I am a girl. Judah is a boy and therefore I do not make sense most of the time - but he claims to love me anyway!

Isn't he a good guy to put up with me?

1 comment:

Quad Squad! said...

Gosh, when you list it all out like that, we're ALL good people to put up with you! Especially those of us who have been doing it for such a long time! ha! Let's not make a list of all the things that must be endured about me! Gracious!

BTW, the posting password of the moment is little di. I love it when the letters actually have some sense to them!