Friday, September 18, 2009

Funerals

I went to a funeral this week. One of my uncles died from cancer. He had cancer for over a year. I met people that new my uncle for almost his entire life. Some of them had not talked to him in over 15 years. And yet, they still showed up for his funeral. Even the doctor, who was from out of town showed up. My uncle also had family members that were there that were with him almost 24 hours a day toward the end of his life. He wasn't married, nor had he ever been. He had no children. Closest relationship he had was a brother and his sisters.
Why do people come to funerals? Is it out of respect for the person that died? Is it out of respect for the family? Is it a formal way of saying good by? I remember right before they closed the casket, a guy walked through the door, down the aisle, and over to the casket. He looked at my uncle for about 5 seconds, and then turned around, and walked out. No one knew who he was!
While I was there, my mom talked about how she wanted her funeral (or lack there of). One of my aunts also chimed in, explaining her wishes. They both wanted "something simple". "Don't make a big fuss," they each agreed. They were also adamant that they did not want to be cremated, however. Something about "coming back to haunt you" rings a bell.....
My uncle had already prepared for the funeral. He had gone to the funeral home a while back, and paid for it, picked out his coffin, and even prepared the type of service (visitation schedule, length of time, etc.). I got the impression that there was some type of package selection that the funeral service provided. Kind of like plan A costs this much and provides this. Plan B costs a little more, and with you get..... I am not sure but that is my guess.
One of my other uncles did the eulogy. He talked about how "he was a good man", "gave back to the community", "loved kids, even though he didn't have any", "fun to be around", and other things that one is supposed to say at a funeral. And that is when I started thinking....
What is someone going to say at my funeral? Who would be there? What would it be like? Do I really care?
When I got home, I told a friend of mine where I had been, and he gave his condolences. He told me that he thought the best thing someone could say at a funeral was that the person who had died left behind a good name. In other words, people respected them. For me personally, I don't want someone to have to try to fit my actions into "things you are supposed to say at a funeral." I don't want people to have to try real hard to think about what to say. What would someone say at your funeral? What would your funeral look like?

No comments: