Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Book of John

I have been studying the gospel of John recently. Its actually pretty cool. It doesn't necessarily "fit" the other gospels, and in some circles is not considered a synoptic gospel. It seems to be written to counter the teaching that Jesus was only Spirit, and not also flesh. It also has evangelistic under tones to Greek Jews. There is also some debate as to who actually wrote it. In other words, some believe the author was not the apostle John, but another "John" in later formation of the early Christian faith. In any event, the gospel of John is really quite amazing.

I am presently studying chapters 5 and 6. I have to teach on them in the morning for a men's bible study I am a part of each week. These two chapters have some really weird stuff in them. Look at what I have to deal with!

John 5:1 - 13 - Jesus heals a lame man.
Why does't Jesus heal others at the pool?
Why does he ask the man if he wants to be healed? Who doesn't want to be healed?!?

John 5:24 - "...those who listen and believe...will have eternal life."
Is there a difference in knowing and believing?

John 6:1-14 - Jesus feeds the multitude
Why doesn't Jesus just create the food? Why does He use the bread and fish from the little boy?

John 6:16-21 - Walking on water
He walks on water! How cool is that!?! Who wouldn't want to do that?!!
"...immediately the boat arrived at the their destination!" - WHAT?!?!

John 6:35 - He declares Himself the Bread of Life.
Where is He going with this?

John 6:53-58 - To me, this part is a little weird. I'll be honest. I dont' think I get it completely. "eat my flesh"? "Drink my blood"? Even if you look at the original Greek, and I am no Greek scholar, supposedly John uses verbs that are defined as a "chomping" or "chewing" action..... What?

Well, as you can see I have my work cut out for me. It seems, I may need to chew on the Word for a little bit....

1 comment:

Quad Squad! said...

John has always been my favorite gospel! Currently, we're studying it in our ladies class, but we haven't gotten as far as you yet!