Tuesday, May 25, 2010

* Pulitzers

I made a list of back logged ideas months ago and I though I would get around to some. At first I thought of doing Disney with some pictures, but found the idea overwhelming so I looked for another topic. I will hereby cross off the yearbook, because it is over, we didn't lose any money, it looked great (in my opinion) and I am not doing it next year, and I don't want to talk about it anymore. I still want to do some of the others and I thought this topic might be the easiest to accomplish while lunch is cooking and my son finishes his learning time. (We are totally on schedule today for those that are interested :) )

Several months ago my best friend did a post on Pulitzers that she has read, inspired by another book loving friend that she has. They are, I believe, in direct competition, while I merely stole the idea for myself. Apparently there is a way to link to the site so you too can know how many Pulitzer prize winning books you have read. I don't know how to link but you can google it!

Thus far I have read the following books...

  • 1919 - Booth Tarkington - The Magnificent Ambersons
  • 1928 - Thornton Wilder - The Bridge of San Luis Rey
  • 1932 - Pearl Buck - The Good Earth
  • 1937 - Margaret Mitchell - Gone With the Wind
  • 1940 - John Steinbeck - The Grapes of Wrath
  • 1953 - Ernest Hemingway - The Old Man and the Sea
  • 1961 - Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
  • 1988 - Tony Morrison - Beloved(begun but never finished - hated it, but giving myself credit because it was that bad)

I have started The Age of Innocence - by Edith Wharton and it is fairly good, but then I got sick for a month, the yearbook loomed and I had to give it back to the library because I used up my three check outs. I plan to get it again next time and finish it, along with some others as I can. I was surprised how many are not in the library. Being myself I wrote out a list of the books in chronological order, 4 out of 5 were not there.

I plan to get a list of the Newberry winners as well, because they are easier to read! Although I think there are a ton more of them.

Happy reading!

No comments: