Thursday, July 8, 2010

* Rich

Let us all assume that you have seen the list of questions designed to point out how rich we are. I have clothes on my back, a roof over my head and food in the refrigerator. Which makes me richer than 75% of the world. Owning a computer make me one of the top 1%. By definition if you are reading this - you also have a computer and are as rich as I am. The statistics are interesting, yet rarely motivating. Sad really. Apparently most of us need to literally be hit in the head with a 2x4 to feel anything.

Yesterday the kids and I traveled over to the inner city church for lunch, which our college ministry serves weekly through the summer. I have said before how glad I am to have an active service outlet for my family and particularly my children. I try not to stress over numbers and that is good since yesterday we fed three teenagers, along with our selves. Not the largest crowd. I flippantly said we were focusing on quality not quantity that day. That flip remark turned out to be true. For over an hour I stood in a basement kitchen talking with three of our under privileged youth in this city. They were helpful and tolerant of my differences. I was the one out of place. They were at home and comfortable.

Admittedly I am older than is 'cool' and amazingly out of touch. Instead of trying to be something I am not I honestly admit I know nothing. They found my lack of coolness entertaining and spent fifteen minutes scrolling through the music on their phones to find something I had heard. They finally found one. During this process I also was introduced to a song by Mary Mary called 'God in Me' which I really liked. I promised to go home and listen to more. During this time another adult walked through the room and within a minute alienated all three of those teens. He probably thought he was meeting 'today's underprivileged.' I have no doubt he does good things, but that minute wasn't one of them. In his attitude he angered rather than endeared them. When he left they turned to me and asked if I liked him. I could only honestly say I did not know him well. It was interesting to see the response and it comforted me to know I wasn't failing miserably.

Let's bring those threads together now. (money and honesty fo rthose who weren't follow the 'threads') A few minutes later the teens and I joined the minister and one of our college students for a great discussion in the basement nursery about church and community etc.. During that discussion one of the girls asked me if I was rich. I immediately backed off and said a safe thing like I was rich compared to the rest of the world. We talked a little about how America overall is richer than billions of people. That was not satisfying to her. She asked again and I took a deep breathe and said,

"Yes I am rich"

(That is hard to say since we seem trained to always compare ourselves to those with more, but truly the statistic of being in the top 1% is true)

Her response "Then you are one of those good rich people"

In an emotional moment I could have cried. She spoke honestly with me and appreciated my honesty in return. To her I am drippingly rich. I know some one who once showed the average income by zip code. My church building sits in a zip code of over 100000 average income per year. (three times that of our state) The inner city church building sits in a zip code of less than one fourth of that. The difference between our resources are vast.

What do I do with my richness? Lament the fact that I am wealthy since Christ said it would be hard to get into to heaven? I do not think that is the answer, although stuff and money often get in our way to seeking God and His kingdom. I think the answer to being rich is same as the solution to many situations. Honesty. Admitting what we have and that it belongs to God Himself. I should not back away from the reality of what I have, it doesn't help me and it doesn't help those I see in the inner city. I watched as honesty was more effective than good intentions. I didn't like admitting I didn't know their music or that I had way more than they did. But pushing them away would be worse.

There are so many people I know with tons more money than I have. Their bank account has a lot more zeros at the end. Their houses are bigger and nicer and have pools and theater rooms and custom cabinetry.

However looking up at the rest of the 1% is not the true picture. I need to be honest with myself and not back away from the fact that I am rich. (And you my friends on the computer are too)

No comments: