Tuesday, August 12, 2008

* First Day of School

We had a "parent conference" last night at the school my oldest attends. This is one of those events that usually is labeled "send the wife" in my head. Previously, I had found these types of evenings rather uneventful. No offense here, but it is mostly moms (stay at home moms at that), and there are not a lot of guys where I can sit back and talk about the game, or currently the olympics. I can't help it. My mind is elsewhere. I've got things to do.

However, this evening was different. For some reason, I felt "compelled" to go this year. Call it me maturing, or gaining a better appreciation for what Michelle does during the day. I am not really sure. Whatever the reason, I felt like I needed to be there. Upon arrival, all the parents were brought in to listen to the head master. And that is when it happened. The head master prayed about 3 times while speaking to the parents. Not only that, but he also read scripture that higlighted their belief structure at the school. Our oldest is part of a homeschool co-op that focuses on biblical teachings, while educating its students in reading, mathematics, science, history, etc. The head master prayed for our children. He prayed for our families. He prayed for the teachers and staff. He quoted scripture! Give me an example of that happening in public schools today.

The concept of public schools is flawed when parents allow the school total control of their childrens' education. It is so easy for us to just drop our kids off and not worry about it. "The school knows best". "They are taken care of". "We just need to make sure they do the hoemwork, and don't get detention". I have nothing against public schools, as long as they do not actively go against the beliefs that I teach my kids. Public schools have their place in our culture, but they can not take away the responsiblity that a parent has to "raise up a child in the way he/she should go". Look, I am not saying that everyone is commanded to home school their children. However, I am saying that everyone should be responsible for what their children are learning. Get involved. Go to parent teacher nights. What is the curriculum? Is the child able to speak his/her mind? Are they graded based on opinion? Are they being taught that certain morally wrong choices are in fact OK?

On the way home, I listened to Bortz, and he was on his usual rant about "Government Indoctrination Centers" (i.e. public schools). Knoxville is blessed with some amazing school systems, but I can't help but look at how even they have taken God out of education. It's true that we should educate our children as best as possible, but we can't sacrifice that education by removing God from the equation.

Probably the most important chapter in the bible in regards to raising children is in Deuteronomy chatper 6. God commands us to teach our children His laws; to talk about them when we are sitting at home; to talk about them when we are walking; to write them on our door frames. I think the 21st centruy version would be to discuss God while we are driving to grandmas; to talk about what God thinks about our decisions while taking apart a jetski motor; to talk about how God created the stars in the sky while we are sitting in our hammock in the backyard; to discuss how there are bad people in the world, and that God will deal with them, when we are watching the history channel. You see, God doesn't require us to have children, but He does require us to raise them a certain way. Knowing what our children are learning is only part of it.

1 comment:

Quad Squad! said...

Excellent points! As a former public school teacher I can vouch for the fact that a lot of things would be better off if God were still allowed to come to school. They would also be a lot better if parents remembered that their children are ultimately THEIR responsibility and not the schools'.