Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mind Control

Last night I got an email that got under my skin. I started talking to Michelle about it, and the more I talked, the madder I got. Finally, she looked over at me and said, "don't let someone else control you." She then politely went to doing whatever it was she doing.



My initial reaction was that my wife had lost it. Me? Controlled by someone else? Please.... But then I started thinking about it. How often do we do things because of someone else? Wow. We lose our temper and say things we shouldn't when someone cuts us off while driving. We defend our decisions to do something because someone challenges our "wisdom". We go completely out of our way to make a point, when our "honor" is at stake. There are a litany of others. We do things that "just aren't us" because of someone else's behavior.



Truth is, no one should control us to a point where we do things that go against the teachings of God's will. So what if someone doesn't like me. Big deal if someone doesn't like my ideas. It doesn't matter. What does matter is our focus on God. What does matter is our love for others, and to show that love through respect, honor, and appreciation. It is definitely hard for us to stay on track; to stay focused. God calls us to do things for His glory, not others.

No comments: