Saturday, August 9, 2008

* Quirky Quotes

Not sure if I am loving my title of quirky quotes today as I realize that many of the things my children say are not quite quirky. They are quite probably not even interesting to others, but even so here we are again. This installment stars my son who seems at times to come up with random statements or questions, many of which surprise me as I was never a boy and just don't think like one. Again his words yesterday were not so much quirky as they were a perfect representation of where he is in life.

While I was cleaning the kitchen (which is an important detail for several reasons, first to establish that I do clean the kitchen and secondly to demonstrate that I was not prepared in any way for the question my son posed)...... While cleaning the kitchen my son approaches and in all seriousness asks

"Mom........Can I have a ladder?"
"Why do you need a ladder?"
"So I can get a sword............"
Pause
"Off the roof"
Pause
"No"
Son MARCHES Off
"Go tell you Dad" I shout down the hall

As with most unexpected statements I often think back to how we came to that conversation. David is playing in the backyard with swords, not an uncommon event, and launches one into the sky, again not so much an uncommon event, and it lands on the roof. He looks around. Notices the ladder still out from gutter cleaning, that luckily for us in future years he found totally fascinating. He looks between the ladder and the roof several times and thinks "Yeah - I can do that" He now reenters the house to pose his question. I am thankful on so many levels that he came to ask the question instead of the alternative.

Minutes after David's rejection I see through the window Judah climbing the ladder to retrieve the errant sword. Just another ordinary day.

No comments: