Monday, August 4, 2008

* One of the Reasons I Miss School.....

I admit I was made for school, or at least school was made for me. I realize that is neither a popular nor a completely politically correct point of view but it is true. The classroom struture, desks in rows, alphabetical order, schedules, worksheets, grades- all of it appeals to me. My brain chemistry eats that stuff up. Many people were not made to thrive in that environment and thusly our decision to homeschool our son at this time. I will happily discuss why I am a big fan of our homeschool co-op at some point but that was not my intent of writing today.

We went school shopping for first grade today and we had a fabulous time. I missed school shopping for the years I was out of school and I am thrilled to be there again - with lists of things that need to be checked off and items to be later labeled with a Sharpie. New school supplies shout potential and promise. The best day is the first day when everything is organized and new and sharpened if appropriate. I will spend later days contentedly labeling and packing in the backpack. (At this time I will forget the chaos of the pencil box at the end of the year, nothing in its place, nothing clean anymore, all covered in a fine graphite dust)

David was much more into the process this year and walked around with the list and checked things off. (He loves to check things off a list, where did that come from I wonder :)) The highlight however was the backpack choosing. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy another one, thinking that last years was sufficient; but David very clearly explained why a new one was needed, and in my excitement of the moment I agreed. I did however hold out on the lunchbox purchase. He got two out of me last year and this year I stuck to my guns. The Transformers one will have to do, so we bought a black/white backpack that will "match." The completion of our shopping ends with David dragging the backpack out to the car - not in a bag. I love that picture, the excitement, the newness, the anticipation. Today we love the backpack. Next year at this time I am sure I will be told precisely why it just won't do, but not today. $17.99 of pure school excitement. I miss school.......

2 comments:

Quad Squad! said...

Oh, I miss school too! Why can't 2-year-olds go to school!

Anonymous said...

I don't miss school AT ALL. (Probably because I spend everyday of my life at one.) But I do miss school supplies. Especially, brand new boxes of crayons! Glorious!!!

Glad you are blogging, dear friend. I won't ever do it but I definitely enjoy reading yours. Love ya!