Thursday, November 13, 2008

* Report Card Day

Today was report card day and I did not see it coming. Being the nerd that I was in school, I kept track of such essential days. Looking at all those matching letters gave me such a sense of peace. :) I find report card day a mixed day for me now. These are my thoughts...
  • I have no control over the outcome of these grades and it is occasionally hard to let go of that and let him succeed or not all on his own.
  • Thankfully he is my son and mostly the grades are terribly similar to those I experienced through school, although we are young yet and still get about half of our assessment under the heading of conduct. There is a bit of variance here between myself and my son. I was never a first grade boy. I was, from most reports, a terribly well behaved child. My son, while good, is a first grade boy. I have learned that he is naturally louder and more wiggly that I ever was. (Although apparently I liked to dance in public and needed to be reminded a lot about the appropriateness of that behavior - this by the same woman who encourages my daughter to 'shake her bootay' whenever the mood strikes, public or not- see previous posts on grandmotherliness) This dancing in public never trickled into school.
  • I want my children to do well in school but not to feel as though only one grade will make me happy. (And then I wonder if I will be able to handle it if I ever do see another letter on a report card - man am I pitiful!!!!)
  • Interestingly enough - I really do look at the conduct with more feeling than the subject grades. Is he respectful to his teacher? To his classmates? Does he work consistently and with good organizational skills?
  • Then it occurs to me, that I really do want to raise someone that is liked and respected by others. Someone whom others want to be around. Someone whom other parents don't mind having over to their home. Someone who looks out for the interest of others, who loves God and follows Him voluntarily. (and with understanding of that decision)
  • The behavior is more important than the subjects and the letters that come with them.

But I still get a thrill out of seeing the letters (one of which came with a plus today :) )

No comments: