Tuesday, November 4, 2008

* An Atypical Topic (for me)

Today, as with the rest of the nation, I am thinking more about politics. Large chunks of the nation spend a great deal of time thinking about politics, while mostly it gives me a headache. Judah is by far the most political of the family. However I have been thinking more about it lately, hardly surprising since the TV will talk about nothing else, even on Nick Junior it seems. Can I say how much I am ready for the election to be over, just so I no longer have to watch commercials, listens to the recent polling statistics, and look at yard signs.

It pains me to see how polarized folks can get about politics. As someone who leans right in what is often derisively labeled the "Bible Belt" I am not outnumbered in my community. However, even here in a classically red area I am hearing more angry political words directed "my way." My views are labeled and implied to be wrong, mean spirited, and unloving. How can I not want to support the poor and underprivileged? My response is that I absolutely want to do those things. When did leaning right become equated with not wanting to be charitable? The difference - I want to be charitable myself, and not let the government do it on my behalf. I believe that charity is a moral obligation, not a government obligation. I do recognize that overall we are not living up to that moral standard and the government has "had" to step in and do it for us. This is unfortunate. I think of a quote from Star Trek Insurrection (note the nerdiness of my reference) about making machines to do the work of a man, takes something from the man. I think the same about large government. When we allow the government to do something we should do, it takes something from us.

I have read some commentary ranting against the right. About how I do not want to help others. I want to hoard my money and not share. In an ungracious moment I want to yell at them and ask where is their generosity in action? Many who shout about "me" not wanting to share, don't seem to share either. They are happy with governmental programs helping those in need, but don't personally know anyone in need themselves. Do they know a single mother struggling to feed their child on minimum wage and food stamps? Do they know anyone actually receiving assistance form these programs they love? Anyone? (To those leaning left who really do sink into the lives of those in need I apologize, you are not who irritates me)

I have recently also been trying to explain the political process to my son. Since he is the son of a guy who has strong political opinions he naturally knows who we are voting for. He announced this to the polling room during my vote, despite the signs telling us not to mention a candidate's name within a certain radius. We went to someones house for dinner the other day. They had a sign in their yard indicating they supported the "other guy." My son was shocked! Why would they do that? My simplistic explanation - that neither man is "bad" or "wrong" - that everyone truly wants the same for our country - peace, growth, freedom. However these men have two different ideas about how to get there. I wish some grow-ups would see it that way. I understand that issues are more complicated than that, but down at the basic level we all want the same things. Nobody wants citizens living in painful poverty and inhumane circumstances - nobody - either right or left. Nobody wants war. Nobody wants suffering and violence in our cities. There may be some programs I do not want, but the desire for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is still true. Therefore the general meanness in politics irritates me. Why we can't just disagree without it being a character assassination is beyond me. I can only be responsible for myself and living out what God has asked us to do in His word, even if folks think I am close-minded and uneducated to still be believing in such a God. I pray that folks in this country can get to a place where differences in opinion do not require anger, that more people will invest in those in need themselves and realize that shouting from the outside does not solve the problems.

So this has been an atypical post for me - the non-political one. But this is where I am today. Now that this is off my chest I can go back to what I prefer - random preciousness.

1 comment:

Quad Squad! said...

Excellent post, Michelle!