Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday in China

Its almost 7, and pretty much everybody that normally reads this is still asleep. I thought I would share what I usually do on a Sunday over here in China.

Michelle and I spend our Sundays at church. This includes: worshipping God, lunch and fellowship with family and friends, afternoon nap, and then small groups, trying to put some responsibility on ourselves to teaching our children about Jesus. It hasn't been until the last few years that I actually look forward to Sundays. I love Sundays. I really do, look forward to Sundays.

Sundays over here are a little different for me. I get up, eat breakfast, read some scripture, listen to some podcasts, and go out to experience the city. Xi'an has over 8 million people, at least 5 major universities, a couple of defense contractors, and numerous companies for manufacturing. Most people go out to do their shopping on Sunday. Therefore, this is a perfect time to experience the culture. It's a little difficult if you can't speak the language, but it is still worth it.

Today, some co-workers and I came across a small park with carnival rides. Now, I didn't ride any of these rides, as they were definitely not up to OSHA standards, but watching the people was enjoyment enough. Kids over here still beg their parents for cotton candy. Couples cuddle close on the tilt-a-whirl. Elderly couples walk around, holding hands, watching the children play. Carnival workers still try all the normal tactics to get that money out of your pocket.

After the park, we headed down the sidewalk, just walking. Shops are all over the place, with clerks trying to get you to come in side. People are every where, and there is no sense of personal space. Americans stick out a bit, so we are easy pickings for clerks handing out gift certificates, as well as homeless people begging for money.

We ended up at a Starbucks, sipping coffee in front of a nice fire. I actually passed 2 Starbucks, 3 McDonalds, 1 Dairy Queen, 2 KFCs, and 2 Pizza Huts in the 3 plus hours we were out.

I have to say I am completely fascinated with experiencing the culture. Don't get me wrong: I can't wait for my Sunday afternoon nap on my couch, with my son waking me up, wanting to go outside and play. But right now, while God allows me to experience this absolutely amazing culture, I am completely taken aback.

I think we all need to experience different cultures on a routine basis. Like I said, I love my Sundays, but what if I never experienced other Sundays? How would I evangelize to others, without experiencing something different? What if all I knew was going to O'Charley's with my family and friends? My friends don't need to know Jesus: they already do. My son quotes scripture for goodness sake. I can't begin to tell you how uncomfortable I was walking around the streets today. I wanted to be on my couch so bad. But alas, God has chosen that I spend this Sunday 7500 miles from my couch. I pray that I will learn from this experience.

I pray, that everyone else's Sunday was as awesome as mine.

Blessings,


J-

No comments: