Friday, October 31, 2008

* A Halloween Observation

Yet another comment on the inherent difference between boys and girls. When my son was three I bought him this great pumpkin sweat suit to wear around Halloween. Nothing too over the top, orange pants and a jack-o-lantern face on the shirt. The orange hood has one small leaf on it. He was adorable. I have been waiting for some time for my daughter to fit into this outfit so I can have comparison pictures. Unfortunately she will have NOTHING to do with it. This is, I believe, related to the difference between three-year-old boys and girls. My son cared nothing about his clothes at three. His wardrobe was dictated completely by me, except for a few small statements by his father, such as "You can not dress him in sweater vests!" Years later he does have some opinions, mostly as it relates to the "coolness" of the object in question. Polo shirts? Uncool. Dragon shirts? Very cool. Unfortunately the school dress code does not allow for dragon shirts.

My daughter has a lot to say about her wardrobe. She is currently in denial of the fall and intentionally dresses in shorts and tank tops in the morning. This requires us to have conversations and wardrobe adjustments to leave the house. I will have to go in there and hide the summer clothes from her. This is a repeat of what I had to do last year. (Notice she has had opinions about her clothes for a long time) I happily got out the pumpkin outfit a few days ago. She refused - vehemently. I am still hoping to get a picture but my expectations are low.

Now if the pumpkin was only pink....

1 comment:

Quad Squad! said...

We'll wear your pumpkin outfit next year! I'll bet I can get at least 3 quarters of my children to wear it! :)