Wednesday, October 22, 2008

* Quirky Quotes

I have been commenting a lot lately on the activities of my son, and thereby neglecting my daughter - who really is an amazing little thing in her own right! Today's quote is from her. The quote itself is not much, but the attitude behind it was palpable. Unfortunately attitude does not always translate well into written form but I will try my best. She is quite a little princess, a princess who does not wait silently in her tower window, rather one who is scaling down the side without fear, probably without a rope or other safety device either.

In order to properly set up the quote it must be mentioned that she was in the presence of a grandmother. (My mother in law having come in town for a few days due to her son being in China - to hang out and do the fun stuff that grandmothers do) Grandmothers are a great blessing in life. I personally feel blessed to still have a grandmother of my own and I am continually thankful that my children get to spend so much time with their grandmothers. It is however necessary to note that a grandmother was present because the words would not have worked on a mother and the princess knows it.

Grandmothers are soft. There must be a latent gene that manifests only after the birth of a first grandchild. I know from personal experience and from Judah's report of his own childhood that neither of our children's grandmothers were this soft when they only wore the "mother" hat. Great and loving mothers, caring, nurturing, and involved. Just not overly soft. My mom never gave me cookies before dinner or bought me "just a little something" EVERY time we went to a store. Whining NEVER worked, and I knew it. This is a lesson that my children also know about mothers. My son can quote with all the lackluster monotoneness he can muster (while rolling his eyes most likely) "Whining won't get what you want, it only gets you trouble."

My daughter has recently acquired the skill of being able to fasten her own car seat. A skill that most non-child having adults can't perform. Quite a complicated buckle system, one that make me very happy. During one car ride with my mother in law, she announced that she couldn't do it. I know she can, she knows she can. But why do something for yourself when you can convince a grandmother to do it for you? The grandmother, being a grandmother, immediately turned around to help her. I calmly said not to worry about it. "She does have the skill, we can wait"

With every ounce of whine and melodrama in her body, and almost at 70% of her full volume my daughter then stated..

"I have LOST the SKILL!!!!"

As though this is some precious treasure she has misplaced to her sorrow and disappointment. This skill remained lost for the next two days.

Shockingly it returned last night when there was no longer a grandmother in the car.

2 comments:

Quad Squad! said...

I LOVE IT!!! Oh, the things I have to look forward to!

Anonymous said...

I love that story, too! Oh, the things they can do with grandparents!

Kay W.