Saturday, October 25, 2008

* Blogging in the Moment

Contrary to my normal practice I am going to blog in the moment. Mostly stuff happens, it is cute, it is interesting, and it would make a great blog. It is then promptly forgotten. Mostly you see blogs that I can actually remember. It saddens me that some really cool moments are lost, but perhaps that is not so bad, so that I do not overload my loyal readership of 7. However my son just walked up and said a pretty cool thing and since I was already sitting at the computer and avoiding cleaning up something I thought I would blog about it. This blog will afford me another 20 minute avoidance. If my mother was typing it would be much shorter, but my skills do not match hers. I still need to look at the keys and primarily use only five to seven fingers, thus statistically slowing me down by 30-50%.

We are watching another little guy today. He plays well with our two and they all entertain each other so much that my personal input is only needed for food preparation at regular intervals and occasional territory disputes. Since this little guy does not live under our roof he does not know the subtle rules, which is only natural. My son just came to give report (a nicer way of saying tattling) and informed me that the little guy said the "s-word."

When I grew up we were not allowed to say lots of things. Real curses were unheard of so our rules consisted of not saying things like 'stupid' and 'butt.' I still do not much say either of those words, just like I feel guilty for talking on the phone after nine or answering the phone before it rings twice. Both holdovers from childhood. My children now live in my version of ruledom. I do not know what the teenage rules of phone and curfew will look like, but the "bad word" rules are essentially the same. I am not sure what my children would do if they actually heard the words that will get you an 'R' rating for language, but they do know that we don't say 'butt' - we say 'bottom.' (A side note to that rule - my mother, the inventor of we do not say 'butt' is apparently now okay with the phrase 'shake your boo-tay' popularized on some shows - another commentary on the grandmother rule spoken of in the previous post - it may have to do with the cuteness of my daughter when she demonstrates the phrase, which must be ten times cuter than I was because that would have been 'inappropriate' when I was a child - I admit my daughter is adorable, I don't stop her either) Anyway, the offensive word that our little guest used to prompt my son's report?

"Shut-up"

Oh the horror.

No comments: