Friday, May 1, 2009

Power of Positive Thinking

Today's podcast came from Philippians 4: 8 and 9 - "... Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned from me and heard from me and saw me doing, and the God of peace will be with you." (NLT)

I don't know if you are like me, but I tend to read the bible, one book at a time. Unless I am studying for a class or lecture, I tend to "read" through the books. I'll be honest: I have read through Philippians numerous times. Its a short read, so I feel good when I read it. But even with all those readings, I have looked over the power of these two verses. I liked this sermon today, because he took two verses, and really showed what Paul is trying to say about it is simply the way to be Christian.

We get frustrated when things don't go our way when we don't focus on the right things. We focus on things that really, are just not important. We "major in the minors". "Why didn't I get that job promotion?" "Why am I fat?" "Why did she marry him, and not me?" "Why don't we sing these songs, instead of those songs?"

If we focus on the right things (pure, honorable, lovely, etc.) and do the right things (live the way Jesus did) then we will be blessed. However, when we get fixated on things that just don't matter, and start acting in ways that are not Christ like, we won't be blessed. In short, when we focus on thoughts and ideas from God, and act the way He has called us to be, our lives will be much calmer and at peace. We will "tend" to not make mistakes that lead to anxiety. Will our lives be perfect? No. Will God give us everything we ask for? Of course not. He will provide for our needs, and our lives will be blessed because we will not worry about this life. God is in control.

I am reminded of one of my favorite bible stories: Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego (Daniel 3). These three boys face a fiery furnace, because they will not bow down and worship a statue. Right before they are thrown in the boys reply, "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, your majesty. But even if He doesn't, your majesty can be sure that we will never serve your gods or worship the golden statue you have set up." I love that.

God doesn't bless with worldly possession, just because. He blesses us with lives that are at peace in the World, because we have accepted His plan. We have peace, therefore, we are not worried about decisions we make. When we worry or are anxious, we tend to make irrational decisions. Our lives start to feel like we are not blessed. When we think clearly, we are able to make more rational decisions. our lives begin to feel blessed.

When we don't focus on things that are true, noble, or lovely, we tend to start looking at the world as if it owes us something. We start focusing on the little things. "I deserve better than that". "I can't believe she said that about me". "This church doesn't satisfy my needs". We also begin to take in images, sounds, and feelings from our surroundings that have no positive impact in our life as a way of release. Our life is not blessed. There is no peace. We must do something to "get a way."

Its quite simple really: If its not good, pure, honorable, lovely, peaceful, etc. then don't watch it. don't read it it. Don't surf to it. Don't say it. Don't do it. If you do, your life won't be blessed. Doing these things might be a release. They might let you "get away" for a while". But your life will not be blessed the way it was intended.

Think on things that are true, pure, and lovely. Do the things that Jesus calls us to do, and your life will be less stressed. With less stress, you are more likely to make smarter decisions about the tasks that have been laid before you.

No comments: