Monday, September 15, 2008

* The Joy of Creation

This past weekend I was blessed with the opportunity to hang out with just my mom making home-made cards for her upcoming church craft bazaar. I do not often get to be with my mom by myself. Now that I have two smaller persons who tag along with me everywhere, they tend to claim any energy grandma may have upon arrival. They are constantly doing new and exciting things and I do not think I have done anything really new in years. However this weekend I requested some time without children so Judah drove a bit further down the road and they hung out with another grandmother. The kids came back the next day and the house got a bit louder but for several hours Friday night and Saturday I was able to sit at a table and make stuff with my mom.

Making things for a bazaar is a strong childhood memory. My mom has always been crafty and many of you who have been to my house growing up may remember the craft cabinets that were our dining room decor. Mom actually came across some old style card catalogs from the library and we had drawers full of wonderful things like beads, cross stitch material, fake birds, raffia, ric-rak, rolls of tin for tin punch( a shout out to anyone who knows what that is :) ), and numerous other items sometimes labeled on the front of the card catalog. Mom's craftiness is the reason I do not share the love for fried okra that many of my southern compatriots have. Mom put dried okra in wreaths and therefore they seem wrong to eat. Who would eat a pine cone? And they are the same in my mind.

As a young child mom made crafts every year for a bazaar to earn some Christmas spending money. A comment on the change in our culture. Who thinks of earning extra money to buy gifts - most folks just trip along with their credit cards hoping to pay it off later. Any way..... Mom would make fascinating items like lifesaver doll ornaments (which since they are labeled first means they are the most remembered - mom always said she knew what outfit I liked best because that was the one I tried on first in the dressing room - I use that knowledge now and watch my first pick for determining what items get put back - never the first outfit). She made a lot of ornaments, such as the one made from baby blocks - it had a bead head and a hat on it. There was also the felt mouse in the stocking and later we made many Styrofoam ball ornaments with sequins pinned on or fake string pearls glued around and around or fabric folded and pinned on to look like a quilted design. The bazaar concept also naturally appealed to my love of counting objects and sorting them into piles. Seeing a table with different items arranged in their proper place gives me a sense of peace. :)

A few years ago mom mentioned that her church was having a craft bazaar and I encouraged her to get a booth. We made many things and had a grand time counting and sorting and labeling. The precious souls that came through loved looking at out paper crafts but bought little. The upside was we had tons of scrapbooking materials leftover and were stocked for months! This year we are making cards because they sold best and again if they don't sell Mom will be stocked for some time. She is a card sender like I always mean to be. Who doesn't like to get something in the mail?

Other than enjoying my time with my mom and wallowing in childhood memories of lifesaver doll ornaments I truly enjoyed creating the cards. This is also why I like scrapbooking and quilting. I like MAKING stuff. There is a joy in creation. I think creating is a healthy hobby. This Christmas I suggested that Judah get a lathe and start his own creating hobby. He has spent many happy hours making some great pens, darts and letter openers. I wonder if some discontentment can be traced to how much we don't make anymore. Many years ago people worked hard to grow food from the ground (and after our garden this year I can say that is HARD) but they also had to make their clothes, furniture, and many other things we just purchase. Do not think I want to make all my clothes - I've tried that - not my skill set. However I do believe there is satisfaction and JOY in creation. This has been rolling around in my head and I have finally come to the conclusion that my joy in creation is a reflection of my creator. When I make something, step back, and say "that is not too bad" I can get a glimpse of the first chapter of Genesis in my own very small way. It makes me smile whenever I get a glimpse of God - in my children, in nature, and in a creation of my own.

If you haven't made anything in a while - I recommend it highly - there is joy in creation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle! Somehow I found you in the blog world. I could totally identify with what you wrote about the joy in creating. You wrote what has been in my mind for the last 6 months or so. My little girl inspired me to take up sewing so that I could make her little dresses that I envisioned in my mind but couldn't find or afford if I did find such items. Anyway, this hobby has morphed into creating all sorts of home decor, quilts, bags, etc. I really didn't expect to like it, but after I got started and LOVED it, I tried to pinpoint what I found do fulfilling. Like you, I concluded that it was part of being made in God's image to enjoy the process and product of creation. I'm thankful that I've gotten to experience this amazing concept.

Judah and Michelle said...

How wonderful that you found us here in this strange place Alice. :) And how wonderful is it that you can create clothes! As I said that was not a skill of mine. Thank you for sharing your experience as well. It helps me to feel there is truth in my conclusions.