Saturday, September 27, 2008

* Superpowers

I debated on the title for this post - I wanted to do the quirky quote title since it is related to a statement by my son - but I decided not to. This is contrary to other posts that have little to do with a quote yet get labeled as such. Such is the joy of blogging - I can do whatever I want and since my readership is limited no one will really care.

A few days ago my son and I were watching the first Fantastic Four movie. He has never seen the movie in its entirety or the beginning part at all. This sitting only fixed the beginning part - we still didn't watch the whole thing. Anyway... the beginning of this movie really tries to explain the scientific way that these ordinary folks become superheroes. This was an interesting topic for the seven year old on the couch. He asked lots of questions and I very carefully explain that the writers of the story made up this way of becoming a super hero. They (meaning the writers) said that some electricity in space "shocked" the actors and it changed their cells so that they would do something they had never done before. We have had previous discussions of electricity (particularly as it related to not touching the electric fence at the farm) as well as cells in our bodies. I thought my explanation of the events in the movie was very clear and I was proud of being able to translate the information into his level of understanding. In the midst of my pride I concluded this train of thought with ...

"Because you know that no one really has super powers like in the story, right?"

"I do"

Total failure of the very elaborate explanation - apparently people do have super powers, particularly my son, and I had it all wrong.

(For those interested - after I got over myself and my attempts to logically explain movie magic I asked what the super powers were ... "I can stick to stuff" and he promptly walked over to the hall and scaled his way to the ceiling with a move many of us have seen on Ninja Warrior - "Mom - you can walk under me now!!!" - Interestingly enough the super power does not extend to getting down from the ceiling. Even superheroes need their moms to swoop in and get them out of a jam every now and then)

No comments: